FC2 -> F7 via yum

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Mon May 19 10:35:50 UTC 2008

2008/5/19 Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>:

> GRUB counts hard drives, in the (hd0) scheme, it skips over
> non-harddrives on the IDE or SCSI bus.  If you need to refer to any of
> the extra drives in GRUB, don't forget to skip past the CD-ROM when
> working out what's what.

Another problem is that a lot of BIOSes actually remap themselves if
the boot disk isn't the first; so you often need "(hd0,N)" even if
you're on /dev/sdb or higher; I bump into this one almost every time I
install or update on this machine where /dev/sda is PATA and /dev/sdb
is SATA (and used to end up as /dev/sdd when I had a couple more old
IDE drives in here). The BIOS says it's (hd0,0) to boot, grub kept
getting told (hd3,0) by anaconda.