Live USB wireless connection

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon May 19 13:34:39 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 09:07 -0400, Daniel Y. Zhang wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > Tim:

> > Richard England:
> >
> >> Never the less, to answer the question, when I don't broadcast mine,
> >> it seems to work fine on F9.
> >>

> > While things may work when done abnormally, you can remove the
> > *expectation* that they will, and add the expectation that you may have
> > to do more work to make them work.
> >
> > It's a pointless thing to do, you get zero real benefits, and several
> > deficits (both you and any neighbours).  It's tin foil hat superstitious
> > territory.
> >

> Hmm, I don't know it coz I am not a network security guru. One of my
> friends told me to hide the SSID to make my wireless AP safer since
> hackers can not see it. It must be an illusion,
>  isn't it? Can you tell me why?

>From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSID:

"This method is not secure, because every time someone connects to the
network, the SSID is transmitted in cleartext even if the wireless
connection is otherwise encrypted. An eavesdropper can passively sniff
the wireless traffic on that network undetected (with something like
Kismet), and wait for someone to connect, revealing the SSID."

poc