F7 Motherboard change

Marco Maccaferri macca at maccasoft.com
Mon May 19 14:36:38 UTC 2008

Hi.

I had a motherboard failure and since it is out of production I had to
replace it with a completely different model, including processor and
memory. Now the Fedora 7 installation won't boot anymore and stops with
a kernel panic because it can't find the root partition.

 From the boot messages looks like it is still loading the old
motherboard's drivers so it can't find the new hard drive controller. I
tought that kudzu should be responsible of detecting new or changed
hardware, but seems to me that it is all done from initrd and kudzu
never loads.

It is possible to manually set the driver from the grub loader ?
Or any way to "reset" initrd and let it redetect the hardware ?

The new motherboard is an ASUS P5K with a Core 2 Duo E8400 processor,
the old motherboard was an ASUS A8V-E Deluxe with an Athlon64 processor.

The rescue CD boots correctly and sees the new controller, but it keeps
asking me where to find the installation images. I don't have the
installation images around. I'm not familiar with this tool so any help
is really appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards,
Marco.