Build Nvidia driver for Fedora 9, AMD?

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Mon May 19 17:59:41 UTC 2008

Michael Hannon wrote:
>>> We kickstart all of our Fedora systems so as to minimize the disruption of
>>> the rapid turnover of the software, but now we have to choose between
>>> securing the systems and having the systems fully functional for our end
>>> users.  Not a happy situation.
>>>
>> If you rather have long term support for your users (reducing the
>> noise), you should really consider switching to RHEL/CentOS.
>>

> Heh.  We run Scientific Linux (SL) on most of our servers.  SL is
> logically equivalent to Centos, i.e., a distribution compiled from
> Redhat source.  We used to run SL on our workstations too, and I was
> happy with that.  But the end users weren't: we repeatedly got
> complaints that they needed a later version of MySQL or PHP or ... than
> was available in SL/RH/Centos.  And other packages, such as numpy or
> scipy, for instance, were very difficult to build on SL but were just a
> yum away with Fedora.
>
> I thought that SL-on-server/Fedora-with-kickstart-on-workstation
> approach was a reasonable compromise.
>
> -- Mike

I agree with you, and in addition to what you have mentioned, the
developers need to be ahead of server and 'stable' releases for which
they code.
Otherwise, by the time they get an application completed, the target
audience is beyond the development base OS release.

For my users, however, it is never necessary or even proper to upgrade
them to the latest Fedora release until I have had a chance to shake it out.

In the case of ati drivers, the new radeon driver finally supports the
X1000 ati series, which covers 90% of the laptops we have here.  None of
my laptop users need 3D.

In the case of the new intel drivers, the stuff done for Dell N series
laptops has all been sent upstream and improved to the point that my
test Dell N series laptop is completely functional, including the thumb
pad scroll bars.

In the case of the nvidia card systems, we will be holding off until
nvidia has a chance to respond.  This may very well be a couple of
months from now.  It happened before, if you recall, and it took about
two months that time.

Overall, F9, as released, was the cleanest and most bug free release of
Fedora ever.  All previous versions, as released, had issues on at least
some of the systems tested here.  In fairness, we have no KDE users.

I am personally not happy with some of the changes in anaconda, but that
is another thread ...

Good luck!