Troubles getting F9

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Mon May 19 18:46:21 UTC 2008

Beartooth wrote:
> On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:28:45 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> First, run an sha1sum against your .iso files, compare that against the
>> contents of the SHA1SUM file and verify you got them uncorrupted.  Once
>> you're sure you got them cleanly, THEN you try burning them.  I use good
>> ol' growisofs using
>>
>> 	growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/path/to/.iso
>
> 	I'm afraid that's succinct beyond my grasp; I'll try to slog
> through man growisofs. Meanwhile, I notice that K3b is using it -- it
> just returned an error on trying to burn my third download :
>
> System
> -----------------------
> K3b Version: 1.0.4
>
> KDE Version: 3.5.9-5.fc8 Fedora
> QT Version:  3.3.8b
> Kernel:      2.6.24.7-92.fc8
> Devices
> -----------------------
> UNKNOWN DVD-E616P2 1.07 (/dev/sr0, ) [CD-ROM, DVD-ROM] [DVD-ROM, CD-ROM]
> [None]
>
> LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-832S VS04 (/dev/sr1, ) [CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM,
> DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL] [DVD-ROM, DVD-R Sequential, DVD-
> RW Restricted Overwrite, DVD-RW Sequential, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Dual
> Layer, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW] [SAO, TAO, RAW, SAO/R96P, SAO/R96R, RAW/R16,
> RAW/R96P, RAW/R96R, Restricted Overwrite]
> Burned media
> -----------------------
> DVD-RW Sequential
>
> Used versions
> -----------------------
> growisofs: 7.0
>
> growisofs
> -----------------------
> Executing 'builtin_dd if=/dev/fd/0 of=/dev/sr1 obs=32k seek=0'
> /dev/sr1: "Current Write Speed" is 2.0x1352KBps.
>     3932160/3580680192 ( 0.1%) @0.6x, remaining 75:48 RBU 100.0% UBU
> 21.0%
>     6881280/3580680192 ( 0.2%) @0.6x, remaining 69:14 RBU 100.0% UBU
> 22.6%
>     9797632/3580680192 ( 0.3%) @0.6x, remaining 72:53 RBU 100.0% UBU
> 31.5%
> :-( unable to WRITE at LBA=16f0h: Input/output error
> :-( write failed: Input/output error
> /dev/sr1: flushing cache
> :-( unable to FLUSH CACHE: Input/output error
> :-( unable to SYNCHRONOUS FLUSH CACHE: Input/output error
>
> growisofs command:
> -----------------------
> /usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/sr1=/dev/fd/0 -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-
> the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=tracksize:1748379 -dvd-compat -
> speed=2 -use-the-force-luke=bufsize:32m

Wait, wait.  The ISO image is on /dev/fd/0?  That's your stdin.  That
makes no sense to me.  I'd be leery of such a thing.

Use something like ktorrent or transmission to pick up the torrent and
tell it to save the stuff to some working directory (by default,
transmission will download to your home directory).  Then run sha1sum
against the .iso file(s):

	$ cd /path/where/you/downloaded/things/to
	$ sha1sum Fedora-9-x86_64-DVD.iso

Compare the number(s) you get against that in the SHA1SUM file in the
same directory as the .iso image(s).  The sha1sums should be:

	50253a35b5ba128c9a57b2a10cbd829813fc5119 (32-bit DVD)
	f92576227484a4eeda0e86a497836c67c34d20ef (64-bit DVD)

Once you have the .iso file(s) and verified the sha1sums, now you can
futz with things.  Simply use the command I mentioned above.  Once
you've burned the images to DVD, you can delete the .iso files.  It's
nice to have them around until you know you have good DVDs to work with.

> 	Fwiw, the Lite-On is an external DVD drive; it's plugged, not
> into the computer directly, but into one of the ports on my MiniView G-
> CSIO4U USB KVM switch -- as it has been for some time. Any chance
> plugging it directly into the computer would help??

It sure couldn't hurt.  I don't trust USB hubs or switches or long
cables for media I'm trying to burn where you only get one shot.  For
normal R/W stuff (e.g. a USB-interfaced hard drive) it's OK (even if
the I/O is often slower), but you only get to try to burn that DVD once.
If there's a buffer underrun or something, you've got a nice coaster but
not a usable disc.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-   You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.    -