F7 Motherboard change

Ville-Pekka Vainio vpivaini at cs.helsinki.fi
Mon May 19 19:53:16 UTC 2008

Marco Maccaferri wrote:
>  From the boot messages looks like it is still loading the old
> motherboard's drivers so it can't find the new hard drive controller.

I recently had a similar issue when I changed my motherboard. You probably
need to make a new initrd. So boot with a Fedora rescue disk and let it
search for your Fedora installation, also enable networking, if possible.

When you get to the rescue console, chroot to the original system (I think
it's usually done by "chroot /mnt/sysimage"). At this point you may want to
try removing and reinstalling the latest Fedora 7 kernel, that should make
you a new initrd. If it doesn't work, you may want to do something like this:

The initrds are in /boot, so cd to /boot and move your original initrd out of
the way, something like "mv initrd-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686.img
initrd-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686.img.orig" and then make a new one. Because I so
rarely need to use the mkinitrd command, I'm not exactly sure my example will
work, please see the mkinitrd man page first. But I'd try something
like "mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686.img 2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686".
Of course modify the versions to match those you have in your system. I'm not
sure if the latter part actually needs the "i686" as well, I think it does,
though. If that succeeds, reboot and hope for the best :)

--
Ville-Pekka Vainio