multimonitor setup on F9?

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Mon May 19 20:39:38 UTC 2008

Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Konstantin Svist <fry.kun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed F9 from a Live KDE CD onto a laptop.
>> Problem is, I can't get the system to use an external monitor/projector as
>> extended desktop. Whenever I plug it in and turn F9 on, it resizes the
>> laptop panel down to external monitor resolution (1024x768) but I get no
>> picture on the projector.
>> When I go to system settings -> display (?), it shows me that I have LVDS
>> and VGA enabled to the same resolution (1024x768) - and it lets me select
>> separate resolutions, but doesn't allow me to apply the changes. When using
>> krandrtray, there's an option to turn off clone mode and set up separate
>> resolutions, but that doesn't make it work, either.
>>
>> Oddly enough, when I go to tty1, the projector turns on and clones that
>> output.
>>

> In F9, the old multihead approach (Xinerama) is replaced by xrandr,
> and I think the point and click configurator is not keeping up. Last
> friday, I posted a message here about how to make a dual head display
> work in panorama mode. Look for a message called "dual head howto for
> xrandr; problem with window manager, no more merged fb or xinerama
> flags..."  (I do not know how to give you the address to that post)
> You'd only need to change the one setting in xorg.conf.
>
> Basically, run xrandr to see the device names, as you have done, then
> run xrandr from the command line with the desired resolution, then
> translate those details into the xorg.conf.
>
> pj

Thanks, I'll check out your howto!
I was under the impression that the new xrandr was meant to allow
dynamic monitor switching. I really hate going through xorg.conf every
time I want to plug/unplug a monitor. In F7, I've found a combination of
fglrx/krandrtray/xorg.conf that lets me more or less switch between two
configurations (lvds only vs. lvds+crt1)