Problem with NV driver and Fedora 9

Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo rodolfo.alcazar at padep.org.bo
Mon May 19 23:00:43 UTC 2008

Am Montag, den 19.05.2008, 17:50 -0500 schrieb Daniel Auger:
> Rodolfo, that did it! Thanks! Unfortunately I have to do this every
> time I boot. Is there any way to automate this at boot?

Oops. I did it just once and worked since then.

Maybe you can try these:

- run the startx line as root (yea, just once).
- find the equivalent of ignoreABI to set on your xorg.conf.

Please reply if you find the solution. Thanks.

:)

> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 7:02 AM, Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo
> <rodolfo.alcazar at padep.org.bo> wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, den 18.05.2008, 12:34 -0500 schrieb Daniel Auger:
> >> To work around this, I booted the recovery console and switched the
> >> driver in xorg.conf from "nv" to "vesa". The vesa driver allows me to
> >> boot into Fedora and go about my business, but it is painfully slow
> >> when trying to watch video, so I'd like to get the nv driver working
> >> if at all possible.
> >
> > I had that "out of sync" problem with my nVidia Corporation GeForce 7100 GS (rev a1).
> >
> > What I did:
> >
> > - Installed F9.
> > - Booted without "rhgb" on the grub kernel line
> > - Configured the system (fedora initial configuration)
> > - ctrl-alt-f1
> > - login as root
> > - init 3
> > - change xorg.conf, device driver to "nv" (originally detected vesa).
> > - # su - rodolfo (thats my daily username)
> > - $ startx -- -ignoreABI (started fine)
> > - end that gnome session
> > - init 5
> >
> > Now, is working fine. Hope the nvidia driver come soon...
> >
> > Greetings.
> > Rodolfo Alcazar - rodolfo.alcazar at padep.org.bo
> > otbits.blogspot.com / counter.li.org: #367962
> > "Wenn sich Intel und Microsoft in deine Sache einmischen, weißt du, dass
> > du etwas richtig machst."
> > - Nicholas Negroponte, auf der Fachkonferenz LinuxWorld 2006 in Boston
> > verteidigte sich Negroponte
> > mit diesen Worten gegen Kritik von Microsoft und Intel an seinem 100
> > Dollar Laptop
> >

> > --

Rodolfo Alcazar
Responsable red y datos

Deutsche Gesellschaft für
Technische Zusammenarbeit (GTZ) GmbH

Programa de Apoyo a la Gestión Pública Descentralizada y
Lucha Contra La Pobreza - PADEP
Av. Sánchez Lima 2226
La Paz, Bolivia

Tel: +591 22417628 (121)