fc9 and rhel5 shared /boot and lvm coexistence

John Priddy jpriddy at redhat.com
Tue May 20 04:48:29 UTC 2008

Thanks for the info -- for documentation sake in the mailing list im
going to add some comments and answer some of my own questions.  I
decided to just jump headfirst as I didnt really have any data i needed
to keep anyway...

I created the following:

Distros are rhel5.1 x64 and fc9 x64

/boot as the physical partition which is shared

1 physical volume on the only other partition on the disk - this is
shared between both distros
1 swap lv for each (under above pv)
1 root lv for each (under above pv)
1 shared lv (under above pv)

These existed already and had backup data on them:

1 existing pv from laptop hd module
5 exising lv from above pv

1.  So far no issues whatsoever with sharing /boot, though its worth
mentioning FC9 doesnt appear to account for an grub already existing.
Basically you have to manually add the grub.conf lines that correspond
to your other distro (rhel5.1 for me).  I am not sharing any other
partitions right now except for some generic data ones, no issues.

2.  Any existing VGs I had showed up as 'inactive'.  Suprisingly I've
never come across this in all my years with lvm -- 'sudo vgchange -a y
VolGroup_$NAME' brought it back to active, then I could mount.  I
suppose this is the equiv. of vxvol start X.  Other than that, no
issues.  I haven't tried hibernation yet, but I did notice my 2nd distro
install (FC9) did use BOTH swaps and put an entry in fstab.  I removed
this for 'good measure'.