Where are the Gnome "Applications" and "System" menus?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue May 20 12:31:36 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 11:33 +0000, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I discovered long ago that the menu entries are in .desktop
> files, but I'm still mystified by who decides which menu entries
> go in which menu in what order.

The order would be alphabetical, based on the name of the menu entry.

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Firefox Web Browser
GenericName=Web Browser
Comment=Browse the Web
Exec=firefox %u
Icon=firefox.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupWMClass=Firefox-bin
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;text/mml;
X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.12
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;

I'd say that the last line has some importance in determining which
menus might contain an item.  The name of the category might not be
exactly the same as the menu name (e.g. network - internet).

I seem to recall having to mess with an XML file, years ago, when Gnome
lost its menu editor for a while, I think with "merged" in the filename.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.15-80.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.