FC9 boot hangs with encrypted filesystems

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue May 20 16:05:10 UTC 2008

Marc Schwartz wrote:
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> writes:
>
>> I put an encrypted f/s on an FC9 install, and the boot hung waiting
>> for the password. Not good, so I marked it "noauto" in fstab, but it
>> still hung. So I put it in automount and not in fstab and it still
>> hangs, and I finally took it out of everywhere and the boot process
>> can still see it.
>>
>> I want the system to boot without the filesystem, and mount it only on
>> demand, but by simply existing it seems to be found and validated at
>> boot time. Can someone tell me where the boot process is finding the
>> f/s? It's not used for normal operations, only for special operations
>> by people with the password.
>>
>> Is there a way to keep the boot from asking about it until used?
>
>   man crypttab

Thanks, but I don't see quite how to select "on demand" in that man
page. If I comment out the entry it isn't requested at boot, but it
isn't requested when I try to mount it, I get a "must specify filesystem
type" prompt.

I'll continue to try things and let you know, at least now I can get the
system to come up, I can always go back to cryptoloop if I must, or
build aes-loop into the kernel. This was just a test, and it isn't quite
as easy to use as I had hoped.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>