RAID 1: Dual boot Fedora 9 & XP

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed May 21 01:29:50 UTC 2008

Sebastian Gurovich writes:

> Are you suggesting that I partition my 2 disks identically and then
> implement software RAID 1
> inside of my Windows XP and linux partitions?

No, I'm suggesting that the chances of you getting both Linux and Windows XP
working with a RAID configuration on the same set of drives is slim to none.
As far as I know, Windows XP does not implement any kind of software RAID.
The only kind of RAID I am aware of, that works with Windows XP is hardware
or pseudo-hardware RAID. Ordinary, run-of-the-mill RAID controllers ship
with Windows XP-specific drivers. Furthermore, the Windows XP-specific RAID
device drivers almost always assume that they're going to take control of
the disk's entire contents, and you won't be able to carve out a portion of
each disk for Linux's soft-WAID.

If, and only if, you invest significant time into planning and doing your
homework, you may be able to carefully select RAID hardware that's supported
by both Windows XP and Linux. You'll need to do your research in advance,
and select your hardware only after researching that specific hardware's
RAID support in both Linux and Windows XP.

But, if you're saying that you already have some random bits of hardware
with a "RAID" sticker slapped on it, the chances of you being able to use it
in both Linux and Windows XP is somewhat slim.

>                                                Do I only need to install
> the two OSs on 1 of the two physical disks?

Ignoring Windows XP, when installing Fedora, you get an option to set up a
RAID partition(s) of your choosing. Subsequently, the installer proceeds
normally, and installs itself onto the RAID partition. End of story. Once a
RAID partition is set up, it looks like a single, ordinary partition for all
practical concerns.

One the Windows XP side, what has to happen is that the RAID must be set up
before Windows XP gets actually installed. Either Windows XP must have
built-in drivers for the RAID hardware, or the hardware must provide a
device driver disk, and instructions for loading the device driver when
installing Windows XP.