all internet applications start offline

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Wed May 21 03:33:04 UTC 2008

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 13:32 -0700, David L wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 1:28 PM, kglidh <no-reply-gw at fcp.surfsite.org>
>> wrote:
>>         After I upgraded to FC9, my eth0 connection started offline.
>>          I manually turned the connection online but all my
>>         applications start offline including Firefox, Evolution, and
>>         Pidgin.  Also, my Pidgin status is "Available waiting for
>>         network connection."  I disabled and enabled my accounts and
>>         they all came up but my status didn't change.  Is there a
>>         setting I'm missing here?  I've been with Fedora since 4 and
>>         this is a new one for me.
>>
>> Several people have been having problems with eth0 not coming up.
>> Disabling NetworkManager and enabling network using
>> system-config-services
>> fixed it for me.
>
> *Or* make sure NM is actually managing your eth0 interface. In another
> thread I pointed out that Evolution believes what NM says, and if NM
> isn't managing the interface it says it's not online, even when it is.
> Maybe the same is happening with the other apps.
>
> In any case, the received wisdom is that using s-c-n and NM at the same
> time is asking for trouble. Pick one or the other and stick with it.
>
> poc

I upgraded my x86_64 box, with reservations, using preupgrade. It worked
out all right so far but i have the same issue, that the network
interface does not start right away. However all I have to do is right
click the NM applet icon , clear the enable networking check box . Right
click, check enable networking and off we go onto the information
superhighway. Aside from that only an issue with cups has surfaced.
Things were better on the alpha box i had running for a while but that
one is not 64 bit, maybe that is the difference.

max
--
On the eighth day he said "There shall be no rest for the weary."

On the ninth day he farted, and it smelled like sulphur.