Any progress on FC9 flash sound issue?

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Wed May 21 04:09:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, 19 May 2008 11:50:30 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:

> I have replicated the "no sound" issues with two other machines, which
> seems to reduce the probability of odd hardware somewhat. I install the
> latest firefox and seamonkey, add flash from the adobe repository, and
> go to youtube. It works. Then I go to either mlb.com or cnn.com and try
> to play a clip there. It works, but no sound. Then I go back to youtube
> and no sound there, either.
>
> Lots of others asking about sound issues, is there a fix other than
> rollback? I get the problem on a business site for training video, which
> is how I found it originally. They would rather not have me give out
> their URL, but I see it elsewhere.
>
> Related note, the "play" app still works for wav files, and PulseAudio
> always picks the video capture card, if present, as the output
> soundcard. Since there is no sound in documented or physically visible,
> this is a bit of a mystery. Happens with two no-name sound cards and an
> ATI HDTV-Wonder (all BT based, if that helps). Removing the card doesn't
> make sound work, tried that.
>
> --
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
>    "We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
> the machinations of the wicked."  - from Slashdot

All right, I think I got the real fix (other than killing pulseaudio, that
is).

pactl list         # only the relevant output shown

*** Sink #0 ***
Name: alsa_output.pci_8086_24d5_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0
Driver: modules/module-alsa-sink.c
Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
Channel Map: front-left,front-right
Owner Module: 0
Volume: 0:  41% 1:  41%
Monitor Source: 0
Latency: 0 usec
Flags: HW_VOLUME_CTRL LATENCY HARDWARE

*** Sink #1 ***
Name: alsa_output.pci_1274_1371_sound_card_0_alsa_playback_0
Driver: modules/module-alsa-sink.c
Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
Channel Map: front-left,front-right
Owner Module: 2
Volume: 0:  64% 1:  64%
Monitor Source: 2
Latency: 0 usec
Flags: HW_VOLUME_CTRL LATENCY HARDWARE

That is:

sink 0 = onboard Intel IHC5
sink 1 = pci ensonic (the one my speakers are connected to).

On the other hand

cat /etc/pulse/client.conf

shows default-sink = (empty). So I'm guessing any client's sound is being
dumped to sink 0 (default I assume) which is the onboard card (not
connected to speakers). Hence no sound.

Changing

default-sink = 1

makes everything (mplayer and flash) work beautifully with pulseaudio.
Cross my fingers!

I love Fedora. I was this close to switching to CentOS.