akmod? What memo did I miss?

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed May 21 15:30:34 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:
> OK, I'm poking around in livna repos in order to try out the
> test version of the nvidia driver with all the ignore ABI
> gimmicks and wot-not that suggest some folks have gotten
> it to function in 2D, and I see all these akmod packages.
>
> What the heck is an akmod versus a kmod?

I believe its the "actual" kmod package.  It gets dragged in if you
install the kmod package, which is now a "generic" package.  The akmod
is what gets built every time you install a new kernel and need new
builds of your modules for it.  No longer is there a need to download a
new pre-built kmod package, now, it just re-builds your modules for you.

At least that's the way I see it working on my F9 laptop.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net