Build Nvidia driver for Fedora 9, AMD?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu May 22 04:13:39 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 19:43:18 +0100,
  Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 19 May 2008 16:11, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Linux is all about choice and choosing the right tool for the job.
> >
> > Yes (although in my book an nVidia card is not the tool for the job ;))
>
> So what, in your book, is?

ATI 9200's if you don't need a really powerful 3D card.

For work where that wasn't an option (they order from Dell and there are
limited combinations of parts that are available), so I went with
a FireGL 3400 which is an R5xx based card. It works, but at least some of
the 3D stuff doesn't. (e.g. glxgears doesn't recognize the chip id and switches
to some backup way of doing things that is slower.) I really don't need 3d
there so the card is fine now, though I expect it to work fully eventually,
since ATI/AMD has released specs.