OT:AMD Phenom motherboard for FC9

Marland V. Pittman marland at mvpittman.com
Thu May 22 13:59:43 UTC 2008

Mick M. wrote:
> Bad bios etc.
> How do you update the bios when it won't even post?
I had a pretty scary BIOS flash once. I picked up a used Dual-Opteron board/RAM/CPUs.
They worked great, but I got this message basically saying that it couldn't detect the
CPUs properly. I'd have ignored it, except it stopped the boot process every time.

I flashed, with a DOS booting USB stick and it didn't make it back. A quick e-mail
 to BadFlash.com got me a new chip to put in, with the updated BIOS and all was well.

Fedora gives me some kind of message on boot up about IOMM32 and costing 64 MB of RAM.
Annoying, but I don't know what it means. I couldn't find the setting it told me to
adjust, so I just let it go, since it didn't stop the boot sequence.

I decided last night to flash again, this time using an updated Asus Update Utility,
I downloaded it from some site on the Internet, like Softpedia, because Asus didn't even
have an updated version on their site.

I was successful... sigh. Flashing BIOS used to not be scary for me. I used to recommend
to people always flash... it can't hurt. That week without my computer, waiting for a
updated chip sucked bad. I can't believe how my attitude toward something that seems
like routine maintenance now makes my heart stop for a minute while I flash and reboot.