build initrd for qla2xxx firmware

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Fri May 23 17:39:43 UTC 2008

Rick Stevens wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>> Rick Stevens wrote:

>>> Are you sure the firmware is in /lib/firmware?  Check that directory
>>> and verify you have "ql2300_fw.bin" or "ql2322_fw.bin" there.  Don't
>>> necessarily rely on the fact you have the RPM installed...something
>>> may have wiped the files.
>>

>> Yes it's definitely there.  I just don't understand why a card so
>> common would have the firmware dropped from initrd like this.  It's
>> really frustrating for those of us with several systems with those FC
>> cards to suddenly be stuck at FC6 and can go no further.
>
> Uh, I've run QLA2340s very happily on F8.  I have not tried it on F9.
> As I see it, the available QLogic firmware RPMs are:
>
>     ql23xx-firmware-3.03.20-1.fc8.1
>     ql2400-firmware-4.00.27-1.fc8.1
>     ql2200-firmware-2.02.08-1.fc8.1
>     ql2100-firmware-1.19.38-1.fc8.1
>
> Are you certain the "alias scsi_hostadapter" lines are in the
> modprobe.conf file so the initrd is built correctly?  If you build the
> initrd manually and specify the "-v" flag, do you see the modules and
> firmware being loaded into the image?  You should.

I am almost certain the modprobe.conf lines are correct.  Here's what I
have:

alias eth0 tg3
alias eth1 e1000
alias eth2 e1000
alias scsi_hostadapter libata
alias scsi_hostadapter1 sata_sil
alias scsi_hostadapter2 pata_amd
alias scsi_hostadapter3 qla2xxx
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0

I believe that's correct for the qlogic card.  And see my previous post
from mkinitrd -v output.  It also seems to be correct based on the output.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support