Root's Mail

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri May 23 19:19:23 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 12:09 -0700, Ed Warner wrote:
>         Message: 6
>         Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 14:15:05 -0400
>         From: "Mark Haney"
>         Subject: Re: Root's Mail
>         To: "For users of Fedora"
>
>         Ed Warner wrote:
>         > I can not retrieve root's mail by typing "mail" from a
>         command prompt, either by logging in as root or su.
>         > I have added my username as an alias for root but still not
>         able. The folder for mail is there, just comes back as "no
>         mail for root"
>         > Any ideas?
>         >
>         >

>         Uh, is it possible there is no mail for root?

> Don't think so. The folder does contain mail.
----
the 'mail' command only reads from /var/spool/mail/USERNAME in which
case, this would be root. It is a single mbox file and there are no
'folders'

If there are mail folders in /root, the mail command wouldn't normally
access this mail but I believe you can specify a file other than the
users default mail spool...

mail -f /root/mbox
mail -f /some_path/some_file

Craig