Problems with iwl4965 wireless

Mail Lists lists at sapience.com
Fri May 23 21:36:42 UTC 2008

Mail Lists wrote:

>   I have F8 installed on a new Lenovo T61p with a 4965 wireless. I
> have the following odd behaviour. There are 3 AP's in on the same
> network - in fact no others are within scan range.

    Ok after much experimentation - I now have the magic recipe to
connect which seems to work.

    (i) Set up appropriate configs (ie populate
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg*

   (ii) ifup wlan0 ; ifdown wlan0

  (iii) modprobe -r iwl4965
  (iv) turn radio off with hardware switch
  (v) turn on radio
  (vi) iwconfig wlan0 channel 11
        Adjust to channle of close AP
  (vii) iwlist wlan0 scan

         This will fail - repeat - it may still not see the AP that is
close - repeat until you see the AP picked up in the scan.
         If you cannot see the AP - go back to (iii)

  (viii) killall dhclient
  (ix) ifup wlan0

  (x) iwconfig wlan0
       to confirm it has the correct AP

 10 easy steps ... and it works ... yay!

good luck.

(There may be a smaller set but this does work)