82801H (ICH8 Family) NO sound

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Fri May 23 21:46:29 UTC 2008

Justin Conover wrote:

> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Justin Conover
> <justin.conover at gmail.com <mailto:justin.conover at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Justin Conover
>     <justin.conover at gmail.com <mailto:justin.conover at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>         On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Justin Conover
>         <justin.conover at gmail.com <mailto:justin.conover at gmail.com>>
>         wrote:
>
>             I've struggled with this since i"ve had this laptop.
>             Fedora 7/8 I was able to build the alsa-driver from
>             mercurial repository and it worked.  So far I haven't been
>             able to do that in Fedora 9.
>
>             If I file a bug, what does it fall under, kernel,
>             pulseaudio or something else.
>

>         http://pastebin.ca/1027335
>

>     Here is a diff between both kernel's in F9,  Ubuntu 8.04 sound has
>     worked by default, so I'll see what the output I get on that and
>     reply a bit later.
>
>     $ diff alsa-info.txt.kernel-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64
>     alsa-info.txt.kernel-2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64
>     6c6
>     < !!Script ran on: Fri May 23 15:18:16 CDT 2008
>     ---
>     > !!Script ran on: Fri May 23 15:12:48 CDT 2008
>     18c18
>     < Kernel release:    2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64
>     ---
>     > Kernel release:    2.6.25-14.fc9.x86_64
> [...]
This compare isn't really helpful because you have never had sound
working on the 25 version of the kernel.
Normally this would have run in the other direction as .3 is after -14
in the way kernels are labeled, so you are comparing the later as the
earlier which makes it harder to read.  Also, it is nice to use -up as
options to diff so functions and context are included.

> Here is the Ubuntu 8.04 2.6.24-16-generic that sound works on.
>
> http://pastebin.ca/1027387
The driver here is a later version, the full 1.0.16 instead of the rc3
beta for 1.0.16 in your Fedora.  In both cases alsa recognized the
soundcard as Codec: SigmaTel STAC9228, so I don't think that is your
problem.  The other thing that is different is the kernel.  It crosses
major release lines, from 24 to 25.  So this could be either the kernel
or the driver.  Your first step should be to upgrade to the latest
drivers and library from the HG repository.  If you still have no sound,
but the card is recognized and the driver is loaded I think this is a
kernel issue.  That is where I would open the bugzilla.