82801H (ICH8 Family) NO sound

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Sat May 24 13:52:21 UTC 2008

Justin Conover wrote:

> I've got nothing,  I've tried latest stable alsa-driver/lib, snapshot
> and git tree.

Here is some advice to someone who has the same problem as you, but has
an ICH7 hda-intel.  It is from the alsa-devel list and is an extract of
the full message.
If not, try "acpi=off".  Lastly, you can try downloading a daily
snapshot from ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/alsa/snapshot/driver/ and
building it with "./configure --with-cards=hda-intel
--with-debug=detect".  Once you build and install it, type "lsmod|fgrep
snd|awk '{print $1}'|xargs rmmod" to remove all sound modules, type
"dmesg -c" to clear the dmesg log, then "modprobe snd_hda_intel" to load
the new modules.  If you still don't get audio, type dmesg to see the
latest output and email that info here.

Tobin

Instead of the install above you can use "make install-modules" to
install only your module.  Then reboot.  If that is easier.  The debug
message should indicate the problem if sound doesn't work.