Amarock - wma format questions

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Sat May 24 16:00:14 UTC 2008

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> I have several wma file that plays fine on amarock, but then again there
> are some wma files that won't play at all.  In the ones that fail, I get a
> message saying: "There is no available decoder", it does not say
> anything else.
>
> >From what I read about wma format on wiki - there were several kinds
> of releases, specifically they talk about 4 distinct formats - none which
> are compatable wrt to each other, so would that mean one would need
> the 4 different codecs when playing "wma" tagged files?  Geez.

That is determined by microsoft.  They must have mutated wma through 4
incarnations.
> The thing here, is that these wma files plays on windoes media player
> just fine, but not amarock - sigh.

They were created by windows (I think wma stands for windows multimedia
audio) so
it is not surprising they are supported there.  No doubt the codecs are
proprietary.
> Oh yeah - another question - why is it of the *many* windows/linux
> wma to mp3 converters fail to convert?  Everything from "specificed
> source format could not be read", or "You need to update to directx 8.1
> or above", or "Missing/corrupted keys (DRM)".

Again, missing codecs.  I think if you get the codecs from mplayer you
will be OK
but I'm not sure.  I very rarely encounter wma.  It can play wmv though,
so likely
has the codes for wma.  Other possibilities are sox (command line),
xine, xmms.
> Does anyone recommend a good wma to mp3 converter?  I would like
> to convert all of my wma file into mp3 for universal compatability.

You're more likely to find this for windows.  So you would run the
conversion on windows where
the codecs for wma were written by microsoft.  A search should find lots
of candidates.