Mysteries of sound in Fedora-9

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat May 24 16:32:05 UTC 2008

Antonio Olivares wrote:

> and some users are having difficulties getting sound
> to work, maybe their sound cards are not supported :(
> and it is not Fedora's fault or maybe sound used to
> work before and now it does not :(.

Well, in my case while sound never worked when I re-booted
it sometimes started working after I fiddled with the Sound Mixer,
so evidently it is nothing to do with the hardware driver.

> For more information you can view the following thread
> maybe it can be of help:
> http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=188345

Thanks for the pointer.
This solved one problem for me -
I brought sound up to a reasonable volume
by using the sound controls at the top of my keyboard.

It seems that this volume control
and the one in the Sound Mixer are completely independent,
which I did not realize and find surprising?

Also, IIRC the keyboard volume controls used to bring up
a horizontal bar at the bottom of the desktop,
as they do in Windows - but this seems to have disappeared in Fedora?