Testing sound from kcontrol fails (no sound) with no apparent errors.

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Sat May 24 21:41:56 UTC 2008

dcw wrote:
> I posted this on the KDE mailing list and they reccommended that I re-post on
> this list.
>
> Current setup:
> Motherboard: M2A-VM has a connector for either ac97 or hd sound. I am using
> ac97
> Sound output: line output from computer to tv.
> OS: Fedora 8 with all updates
>
> Tested for sound with the following:
> 1) When using kcontrol to test sound, it fails with no apparent errors.
> 2) When using aplay to test sound, it fails with no apparent errors.

You could try running with the -v option, verbose.  Also run dmesg
immediately after
the failure to see if it logged any messages.
> 3) When using system-config-soundcard, the sound works.

This indicates a configuration issue.  There would be no sound if alsa
hadn't recognized your card.
> 4) cat'ing a wav file to /dev/dsp works.

OSS emulation, using alsa, another indication that sound is almost working.
> In searching for an answer, one comment was made about pulseaudio causing
> problems so I removed it. Sound test 1 and 2 from above still fail and test 3
> and 4 still work.
>
> I re-installed pulseaudio but it did not install as many rpms as the remove
> process deleted.
>
> Unfortunately, I know very little about troubleshooting audio problems, so any
> help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> I would have added configuration files but I do not know which ones would be
> revelant.
>
> Let me know what additional information needs to be supplied.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

Can you run the shell script at
http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh
and post the link to the output back to the list.  It will scan your
system for sound
related information and post a summary to a web site.  It will give you
a link to the
information on that web site.