mplayerplug-in and trailers at Apple.com

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun May 25 01:18:02 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 19:31 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 11:41 +0100, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> > 2008/5/23 Andre Costa <blueser at gmail.com>:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've been happily using mplayerplug-in to watch movie trailers on
> > > http://www.apple.com/trailers for quite some time, but lately I've
> > > been denied access to some movies with a "get latest quicktime"
> > > message (other movies still play as they used to).
> >
> > Hey,
> >
> > I've not followed this thread that closely, but I thought I'd let you
> > know that I can view all the media on apple's site with
> > totem-mozplugin and the xine backend for totem.
> >
> > Do:
> > ------------
> > yum install gstreamer-plugins-bad streamer-plugins-bad-extra
> > gstreamer-plugins-ugly xine-lib-extras-nonfree xine totem-mozplugin
> >
> > totem-backend -b xine
> >
> > yum remove mplayerplug-in (gecko-mediaplayer)
> > -----------------
> > and you should find that things work :)
>
> It didn't. I installed and removed as suggested, restarted Firefox,
> visited a trailer page and clicked on the URL, and absolutely nothing
> happened.
>
> BTW there's no streamer-plugins-bad-extra. It's
> gstreamer-plugins-bad-extras.
----
I still can't get the trailers to play from Apple's web site but no
problem playing the trailers from the studios web sites or videos from
CNN (which have never worked as smoothly as they are now).

I have to believe that Apple is really clamping down hard on the DRM to
prevent non-quicktime players from working.

Craig