Weirdness with Fedora/XP upgrade

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sun May 25 14:25:15 UTC 2008

	[...]

On Sun, 25 May 2008 06:27:44 -0700, Francis Earl wrote:

> This is a known issue with ATI/Nvidia cards currently. If you have
> either, please stick to Fedora 8 for the time being, thank you.

	Well, in the meanwhile I've had yet another try. That machine now
offers to boot to XP (which works) or to F9, only. It does boot to F9,
and my home folder seems to be there; but it cant start X.

	Unfortunately, I've been too assiduous about housecleaning with
Pan, deleting threads I thought surely irrelevant -- including, since I
had installed F9 on three machines successfully, complete with working X
-- at least one about not being able to start X. I'll look through the
Gmane version of this list with the three fully functioning machines, in
hope (pretty faint hope) of finding one where I haven't lost that thread
yet.

	Assuming that fails, leaving me with my present severely crippled
install, rather than sticking to F8, I would have to try to "upgrade"
from F9 with my F8 respin DVD from last December. Is that a good idea? Or
an impossibility? Or something feasible but acrawl or honeycombed with
gotchas?

	I did once downgrade a machine that way -- from FC1 back to RH9,
iirc -- because of monitor problems; and the new HP w2207h, which I
replaced my dead monitor with, may well be involved here ...

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.27, Firefox 2.0
Remember I know little (precious little!) of what I am talking about.