Mysteries of sound in Fedora-9

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun May 25 15:11:14 UTC 2008

--- Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

> I'm still baffled by sound on my Fedora-9 + KDE
> ThinkPad T23.
> What puzzles me is that sound never works when I
> logon,
> but starts at some point when I play with the sound
> settings.
>
> Today I muted the Front bar, and then unmuted it,
> and sound started working.
>
> But what I'd like to know is how I can test the
> sound system,
> to see where the problem arises?
> Is it at driver level?
> Or is it something to do with pulseaudio?
> Or is it something to do with xine?
> What I'd really like is a suite of test programs
> which will check each stage along the "sound stack".
>
> Someone mentioned trying something like "cat foo.ogg
> > /dev/dsp".
> In my case, when sound is working this produces a
> white noise.
> Is this testing the sound driver
> (in my case snd_intel8x0 , I assume) directly?
>
> I guess what I'm looking for is a Fedora Sound FAQ,
> with Q1: I have no sound, what can I do?

The release notes

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f9/en_US/sn-Multimedia.html

and the following page which has not been updated to
reflect the removal of system-config-soundcard

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Multimedia/Sound

are the closest things that you can use to try to help
you out.  There is always the alsa webpage:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page

There's a discussion at the fedoraforum

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=180117

There's this page also (bit outdated)
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeaturePulseaudio

Maybe a pulseaudio troubleshooting guide?:

Regards,

Antonio