RAID 1 and recovery

James Thorpe james at tfxsoft.com
Sun May 25 15:52:48 UTC 2008

Hi List,

Been searching for a while for an answer to this, and have started
experimenting with a fresh install, but not found a way yet.  Basically
I'm building a small home server, primarily to act as a file store.
It's got a drive for the OS, and 2 further drives which I wish to set up
in a RAID 1 array to use for the store.  All the info I've managed to
find so far to do with recovery from this is when just a drive in the
array fails, however I'm also concerned about the box as a whole, and
I'd like to know if it's possible to take a single drive from the array,
put it into another machine and be able to read from it?  Eg just as a
normal ext3 partition etc?

That's it... very simple - but I've not found the answer yet!

Thanks,
James.