Mysteries of sound in Fedora-9

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Sun May 25 23:24:27 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>
>>> Someone mentioned trying something like "cat foo.ogg > /dev/dsp".
>>> In my case, when sound is working this produces a white noise.
>>> Is this testing the sound driver
>>> (in my case snd_intel8x0 , I assume) directly?
>> If you catted a raw audio format, rather than a compressed one, to the
>> sound device, you ought to hear sound.  Hearing garbage isn't really
>> going to prove much.
>
> Thanks for your interest and perseverance.
>
> I gather that .wav is an uncompressed format (according to
> <http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Computer_Science/2005/digital_audio_formats.asp>),
> but I just hear white noise if I cat this,
> while I hear the sound properly with aplay:
> -----------------------------------
> [tim at elizabeth ~]$ cat /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav > /dev/dsp
> [tim at elizabeth ~]$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
>
> Do you actually hear the words if you give the first command above?

If you don't have the alsa oss emulation layer installed, there is
nothing to decode the sound as if it is OSS.
yum install alsa-oss*
The above should play after that.  While your at it you might want to
install all of the alsa plugins,
yum install alsa-plugins*
They will give you interoperability with applications like jack and oss.