Amarock - wma format questions

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon May 26 07:34:16 UTC 2008

Tim:
>> Here's three locations that I know about:
>>
>> /usr/lib/codecs/
>> /usr/local/lib/codecs/
>> /usr/local/lib/win32/

Ric Moore:
> You forgot /usr/lib/win32

I didn't know about that one, & it's not on my system.  I don't suppose
you recall what looks there, or what advises about using that location?

> I use all four and put the actual files in /usr/lib/codecs

I picked on /usr/local/lib/codecs since I wasn't using RPM to install
them, just for convention's sake (a /usr/local/ path for stuff you've
done yourself).

Doesn't help with Rhythmbox, though.  That uses gstreamer plugins,
instead, and they didn't cover the WMA (Windows Molested Audio) files
that threw at it.  Just as well that I don't really like using that
program.

Doesn't help with XMMS, and I do like using that.  Nor Audacity, but not
too keen on it, either.  Mplayer being the only thing I've found, so
far, that will use codecs in any of these locations.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.15-80.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.