I/O, Sector Error booting Fedora 9 DVD

dsavage at peaknet.net dsavage at peaknet.net
Tue May 27 13:47:31 UTC 2008

> Hi,
>
> I'm not in front of my computer (and I'm a linux noob) so my terms and
> details may be off a bit. I'm running Fedora 8 on my desktop and I
> downloaded the full 4GB iso for F9. I burned the DVD at 18x or some
> other god-forsaken slow speed. When I boot with the DVD it gives me
> some wierd i/o, sector and I can't continue with the installation.
>
> I'm trying to install it on my IBM Thinkpad R40, but I tried the boot
> DVD on my desktop too with the same result.

Mark,

Some things to check...

First of all, make sure that the DVD ISO file you downloaded is not
corrupt. There was a very small text file named SHA1SUM that you should
should have downloaded along with the ISO(s). Put it in the same directory
as the ISO(s) and run:

$ sha1sum -c SHA1SUM

If it does not say your DVD ISO is "OK", it is corrupt and you'll have to
download it again. (This would be a good time to learn about rsync.) Make
sure that whatever file transfer utility you are using can accurately pull
down a file larger than 2GB. Some can't.

Next, check your DVD burning process. Have you successfully burned DVDs
before? With the DVD blanks you're currently using? (If you're using DVD+R
blanks, is your burner certified for "+"?) What burner software are you
using? The best way to burn a DVD from an ISO in Fedora 8 is to right
click on its icon in a Nautilus (like Explorer) window and select "Write
to disk".

Finally, if you clear both of these wickets safely, there's an integrity
check to run shortly after you boot from the DVD. Pass that and you should
be able to get through the rest of the installation.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL