Setting up DNS; Internet and Intranet questions

David L. Gehrt dlg at inanity.net
Tue May 27 18:01:12 UTC 2008

<snip>

For what it is  worth here is how my domain (inanity.net)  is set up.  I
have a DSL connection to  my firewall/gateway, a Linux box which running
Arno's firewall  which does  NAT.  This system  is also the  master name
server for the inanity.net zone and the ultimate default gateway for the
systems  inside the  firewall/gateway, The  firewall/gateway  machine is
dual  homed.  One address  is the  static from  SBCGlobal and  the other
interface is on the 192.168.2.0/24 internal network.

Inside the gateway is my mail hub, a network attached storage device, an
HP  network printer,  a WRT310n  wireless router  and a  WRT56g wireless
router.   All these  devices are  wired into  a Netgear  8  port switch.
These devices all have addresses on the 192.168.2.0/24 internal network.

There are three wireless lap tops, two laptops have 802.11b/g interfaces
and one  has an 802.11b/g/n.  The  WRT310n router joined  the mess early
this morning  when I got the  Talisman 1.3.5 firmware  installed on both
wireless routers, The internal  wireless address is 192.168.1.0/24.  but
each router uses a different block of DHCP addresses.

DNS on  this mess: The firewall gate  way as the master  DNS server runs
split DNS.  The split is  internal and external.  The external zone file
only has  an A record  for the firewall/gateway  machine.  It has  an MX
record for the  domain which directs the mail to  the gateway which then
shuffles it off to the mail machine.  I should have used port forwarding
but this was the  set up when I had a flat  and less DNS experience, say
around 1990.

There are two  external slave DNS servers.  These only  get the data for
the exterior zone.

Here  is the  guts  of  my named.conf  file.  I have  removed  a lot  of
extraneous  material,  logging  info,  comments,  but I  have  left  the
important  stuff.  Two points.   There are  three internal  DNS servers.
One each on the wireless routers, and one on the mail system.  These are
slave servers,  not caching only DNS  servers.  I now have  to deal with
DDNS, because  until a few  minutes ago my  entire DNS used  static IPs.
Now  the wireless lap  tops can  move freely  between the  routers, with
their separate DHCP address spaces.  There are many ways to handle this,
it is  just new  to me,  and I was  up all  night wrestling  with router
firmware upgrades.

Remember bind is worse than any English teacher.  Watch for the missing
';' and ALWAYS verify that named is running.  Any error will keep named
from running --logs and rndc(8) are your friends.

Oh, I almost  forgot -- serial numbers in zone  files MUST increase with
each  modification to  a zone  file  or the  new data  will not  replace
previous  data.   I ran  a  big  DNS  environment, 10000+  DNS  resource
records, 1 master and 2 slave  servers.  Zone file serial numbers are 10
characters long.  We  used YYYYMMDDNN.  YYYY 4 digit  year, MM month, DD
day and NN  changes per day.  Retired, I have never  needed 2 digits for
NN, but old habits...

dlg

David L.Gehrt
1865 Wilding Lane