F9 - Install a Font

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed May 28 18:37:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 17:45 +0200, François Patte wrote:

> Le 27.05.2008 16:40, Patrick O'Callaghan a écrit :
> available
> |> In Fedora 8 it was like this:
> |>
> |> System->Preferences->Look and Feel->Appearance
> |> Fonts->Details...->Go to Fonts Folder
> |>
> |> I would love to know how this is meant to work in Fedora 9 now that the
> |> 'Go to Fonts Folder' button has disappeared...
> |
> | I don't know the answer, but remember that in F9 no longer uses xfs, so
> | that may change things.
>
> In f8 (and I believe in f9) fonts work without any problems and
> "dynamically" with font-config.
>
> Put your fonts in ~/.fonts and it is done. You can check the result
> using fc-list
>
> For a system wide use, create a directory:
>
> /usr/local/share/fonts/
>
> then add the fonts there (in their own directory if you want to make a
> classification).
>
> To have these fonts used by the system, create a local.conf file in
> /etc/fonts
>
> <----local.conf
>
> <fontconfig>
> ~  <!-- Font directory list -->
> ~  <dir>/usr/local/share/fonts</dir>
> </fontconfig>
>
> <--- end local.conf

In my Xvfb thread, what the heck is /etc/X11/fontpath.d for?? And, how
is it initted/created and what should be in it? Is it a file or a
directory? I'm finding nuttin' googling my rear-end off. How 'bout it
Rahul?? Inquiring minds really need to know, so Xvfb works.

Or, would a local.conf file, as suggested here, override the mysterious
fontpath.d whateveritis?? I sure need to fix this one for my project
using Xvbf in Java Wonderland so we get our "proof-of-concept" before
the interested parties. Thanx, Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar