how to find WEP/WPA key to network if possible

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed May 28 23:55:00 UTC 2008

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> The guy is on vacation, A teacher needs to connect to the network to
> teach a lesson.  Nothing illegal or bad.  Otherwise I would not ask
> this question.  I do not want to use unauthorized network without
> permission.  I can ask permission from Administration, but the guy
> that knows the key is not here.

Then have someone with phisical access change or disable the password.
And prepare an ass whipping for the admin that setup a password and
didn't ensure someone else knew it before leaving for vacation.

> If there is no way to do it, then I rest my case!  The person can
> die and then the key is lost to the network.  There has to be a way
> to do it.

The simplest way is to reset it via the admin interface of the
wireless device.  Anyone with legitimate access would do it that way.

WEP can be easily cracked with various tools.  WPA is a bit more
secure AIUI.

The bottom line is that the way to find the password is to look in the
admin interface for the wireless device.

Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson