how to find WEP/WPA key to network if possible

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Thu May 29 00:28:24 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Antonio Olivares wrote:
>> Dear all,
>> How does one get a KEY to a secured network that could be WEP/WPA?
>> Why we had a unsecured wireless network at school and I could
>> connect with a laptop. Everything got configured automatically, now,
>> the computer does not connect automatically. It is asking for a KEY
>> and I do not know the key. The Network Administrator is hard to
>> find/on vacation. Is there a way easy/hard to find the key so that I
>> can connect to this network?
>> TIA,
>> Antonio
>>
> Depending on the setup, you may be able to make a wired connection to
> the wireless router, and get the key from one of the status pages. You
> can also find out if it is using WPA or WEP at the same time.

Why can't the wireless key be found from some other laptop that's using
the network.  If this is a school, and you are a teacher (I'm talking
about Antonio here), then another teacher must have configured the
wireless key on their laptop, no?  If not, then maybe the woreless isn;t
for the teachers?

The only way this won't work is if the router is also doing MAC
filtering in addition to the wireless key.  (Even then, there are ways
around that too, but beyond what I said above, we're talking about
hacking, which some in the administration may frown upon....)

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net