Fedora 9 - changing screen resolution with sys-config-display (or not)

John Whitley jrw at gwsevern.co.uk
Thu May 29 13:15:13 UTC 2008

Having fresh installed Fedora 9, I am struggling with changing both the
Monitor type and the screen resolution.

System->Administration->Display->Hardware allowed ne to change the
Monitor type to Generic LCD 1280x1024

Further attempts do not update /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Setting the monitor to 1280x1024 gave me a screen resolution of 1024x768

Attempting to change this by either
System->Preferences->Hardware->Screen Resolution or
System->Administration->Display->Settings, I was only offered either the
same or lower resolutions.

Editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf to a higher resolution solved the problem.

In each case I was careful to make the change and then re-login.

Looking at Redhat Bugzilla, it appears there have been problems with
sys-config-display since Fedora 7 although I did not suffer with this on
numerous Fedora 8 boxes I setup.

Is this a common problem? How do others change screen resolution?

I would be grateful for advice

Regards

John Whitley