PGP signatures.

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu May 29 20:54:44 UTC 2008

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 11:07 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>> This does not work for me.
>>>
>> Do you have her key in your key ring? If not, you have to run
>> gpg --recv-keys 1E1C9C17
>> first.
>>
>> Mikkel
> When I run: gpg --recv-keys 1E1C9C17
>

> I get the following message:
>
> akonstam at cyrus ~]$ gpg --recv-keys 1E1C9C17
> gpg: requesting key 1E1C9C17 from http server subkeys.pgp.net
> gpgkeys: no key data found for http://subkeys.pgp.net/
> gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
> gpg: Total number processed: 0

It looks like ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf may not have the keyservers
configured correctly. I know I kept the same config file through
several updates, and the keyservers were no longer valid. I am not
sure if hkp://subkeys.pgp.net would work. I am using:
keyserver hkp://wwwkeys.us.pgp.net

> Let me share that to me the whole discussion of PGP signatures was very
> unenlightening. I have no idea how to sign e-mail or validate a pgp
> signed e-mail All the discussion seemed to me to be aimed at people who
> knew all about this.
>
> Before anyone gets offended let me admit you might reply RTFM.

Well, you could run (p)info gnupg or visit http://www.gnupg.org
There are also man pages for gpg... As far as verifying e-mail,
there are probably plugins for your e-mail client. I am using one
for Thunderbird.

Mikkel