EDAC i5000 NON-FATAL ERRORs

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Fri May 30 02:16:39 UTC 2008

   I noticed that after upgrading the kernel on a Fedora 7 x86_64
box is the latest kernel (the box hadn't been rebooted for some months)
that I am now seeing the following in my messages log...

May 25 04:30:56 fourier kernel: EDAC i5000 MC0: NON-FATAL ERRORS Found!!! 1st NON-FATAL Err Reg= 0x10000
May 25 04:30:56 fourier kernel: EDAC MC0: CE row 1, channel 0, label "": (Branch=0 DRAM-Bank=3 RDWR=Read RAS=14339 CAS=672, CE Err=0x10000)

These messages always occur on DRAM-Bank 3 and are always NON-FATAL. The messages appear roughly once
an hour and are rarely repeated immediately. This machine contains a Tyan Tempest i5000XL motherboard
with ECC memory installed. Does anyone know if the recent kernels had any changes which made these
motherboard chipset report ECC memory errors which were not reported in the past? I haven't been
able to reproduce these errors in memtest86 yet with or without ECC. So I am wondering if I am seeing
noise from the EDAC driver or real ECC errors. Thanks in advance for any insights on this.
           Jack