F8 -> F9 horror

Andrew Kelly akelly at corisweb.org
Fri May 30 10:55:43 UTC 2008

> Andrew Kelly <akelly <at> corisweb.org> writes:
> > Even Sidux won't yet touch KDE4, and that's right out there on the scary
> > edge and KDE-centric to boot. One must learn to read the omens.
>
> Sidux is based on Debian unstable ("sid").

Hence the name, yes.

> Debian is a very conservative
> distribution and therefore only has KDE 4 in experimental at the moment, not
> unstable. That's why Sidux doesn't carry it yet.

Sid is nasty enough at times; I completely respect an experimental
flagging.
I don't like to tinker much, except with my own coding, so I'm happier
with yesterday's packages as opposed to today's, if I'm gaining some
good stability in the deal.

> > Couple days ago at the Fedora booth at LinuxTag I heard a lot of that in
> > person.
> > But it didn't so much sound like "Dude, check it out, this baby is
> > driving KDE4 already!" It was a lot more like, "Even if you're from
> > KDE-land, you're gonna wanna go with Gnome on this one, Bud."
>
> That's not what the people really interested in innovation are saying:
> http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2008/05/29/kde-at-linuxtag-2008-day-1/

I haven't really been a KDE guy since my Caldera days, and even then
preferred fvwm if you can believe that. And no, I'm not really so much
interested in innovation as I am in usability and reliability. My
computers aren't toys, they are tools. I use them as such and I need to
rely on them as such.
But hey, that's not me bashing the "bleeders", so don't look for any
offence cuz there certainly isn't any intended.

Back to your article, though.. as I said I was at the Fedora booth, not
the KDE booth. What I heard I heard from the Fedora horses mouths, and
not the others'.  But it was only briefly topic, because then somebody
said NM was default in 9 and there was a group bashing for a good
stretch of time. Fedora people are fun enough, that's true. More fun
than the software is actually, at times, but that's just me getting
old.

I've hung around the product because I still use an RHCE to make money,
and where that still applies I'm satisfied enough (I'll be honest,
though, and admit that my production server deployment of choice is
still debian), but I'm becoming less patient with where Fedora is going.
It just isn't suiting me like it used to and I'm pretty much just
keeping my hand in to follow what's in the pipeline.

But that's OK. Nobody is married here, I'm not going to go all "Les" on
the distro. It's doing it's thing and still making a lot of people happy
and more power to it.

> If you want old stuff, use Fedora 8, not 9.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Actually, Kevin, I'm still on 4 and 6, although I do have 8 on a lappy
that is currently where one of my cats sleeps. And I've only just in the
last couple weeks gotten rid of my last RH7.3 boxes, but that's not
really to the point, is it.

At any rate, forgive how long-winded and tangential I've become. I
didn't mean to open a new door to venting at Fedora and apologise for
any accidental incidental offence I may have caused.

Andy