Fedora 9 + Network Manager = Wireless NOT Connecting

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri May 30 13:16:56 UTC 2008

Robert Cahn wrote:

> Under F7 the wireless connected without any issues.
>
> The I'm using plain old WEP on the access point.  When I attempt to
> connect the first NM pip turns green immediately but the second pip never
> does.
> Eventually I'm asked for the WEP key.  Entering it again does no good.
> I've used system-config-network to statically enter the WEP key and
> specify the
> SSID.  Nothing works.  I've never been able to connect under F9.
>
> I notice that I'm never asked to unlock the keyring as I was under F5 and
> F7.  Are there any other suggestions as to what I can try?

I suppose if desperate you could stop NM,
and go back to giving the settings
in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth?

Actually, I have had the opposite experience.
After endless problems with NM in Fedora-7 and Fedora-8,
it has recently (I assume because of an NM update)
started working faultlessly in F-8 and F-9.

It is a major drawback in NM, in my opinion,
that it is very hard to diagnose what is wrong
if it is not working.
As far as I can see, the only information available
is that in /var/log/messages ;
"grep NetworkManager /var/log/messages" has occasionally
given me something helpful,
though usually I find the entries unintelligible, eg
"(eth1) Supplicant interface state change: 1 -> 2".

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net