Mono sound only, PulseAudio and Fedora 9... or "where's system-config-sound?"

Antti Aspinen antti.aspinen at phnet.fi
Fri May 30 16:27:07 UTC 2008

Hi!

I've now upgraded to Fedora 9. I'm using KDE as a desktop now. My Udev
problem still exists but I can live with that. (I guess it's related to
my motherboard which is Asus A8V Deluxe which comes with wlan.)

But my current problem is something I cannot live with. I have sound
problems. I cannot get sound at all or I can just get mono output in
some programs.

I know that first audio problem is because I cannot set my system
default soundcard. That's because system-config-sound has been removed
from the fedora 9.

I have two different soundcards. Another one is onboard ac97 card (VIA
8237) I have disabled from BIOS and which doesn't show up in Windows. It
always shows up in Gnu/Linux installations thought and in Fedora I've
usually just disabled or placed it as "second in order" soundcard
using system-config-sound.

I am able to get mono sound output from PulseAudio in some programs if I
set my other soundcard (esi's juli@) as default device using PulseAudio
Volume Control. But it won't hold that setting if I logout or reboot.

Ok. How do I set my ICE1724 as a default sound device or so called 0
soundcard for whole system. And how do I get stereo sound from my card?
I guess it's related to volume levels but I cannot change those things
from anywhere. I tried using google but nothing useful showed up.

Thanks.

--
Antti Aspinen <antti.aspinen at phnet.fi>