F8 -> F9 horror

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Fri May 30 17:40:40 UTC 2008

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> 2008/5/30 scm in seattle <scmsea at yahoo.com>:
>> Surely you can, in some manner... as I replied much earlier, I had by
>> mistake enabled the Rawhide development repository.

yum can only do what you asked/told it to do.  If you enable the rawhide
or testing repos and there's newer stuff in there, well...

I suppose you could have had a yum plugin like "protectbase" active and
put in things that specify ".fc8" only.

>> The scary thing is that the normal/typical update manager found these
>> packages and proceeded to 'upgrade' my system. In effect I went from F8 to
>> F10 in a blink of 500mb... and of course it doesn't work.
>

> How is that scary? Isn't the update manager supposed to the most
> recent packages available to it?

One could install the "allowdowngrade" plugin and downgrade that way.
I've never used it, but it may be a way out of the current conundrum.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-                  Heisenberg _may_ have slept here                  -