ssh to a remote server via gateway server

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri May 30 22:03:50 UTC 2008

On 30May2008 08:31, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> lux wrote:
>> I'm not sure that Mikkel's solution will work:
>> "Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal"
>> will be the error message.
>>
> You can try adding the -t option to the command to run on PC A.

I missed the start of this thread, but you can use the ProxyCommand ssh
option to hop through multiple servers, keeping the "top level" ssh
nicely connected to your terminal and the endpoint (via the proxycommand
tunnel). Which may solve the -t option issue.

I have a script called "sshto" that does exactly this for multihop ssh
connections. Very handy, especially since you can make "sshto" the
default transport for rsync, letting you do multihop rsyncs easily:

  rsync some-dir/ host1\!host2\!host3:some-other-dir/

(You will need the \! on the command prompt line instead of plain ! to
avoid your shell's history substitution syntax - a shell script does
not need the annoying sloshes).

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Our job is to make the questions so painful that the only way to make the
pain go away is by thinking.    - Fred Friendly