what kind of /etc/fstab is this?

das dasd.here at gmail.com
Sat May 31 07:34:26 UTC 2008

Hello Friends

On this thread more than one of our friends have said that the UUID
things are helpful when installing more than one GNU-Linux systems on
the same machine. But, unfortunately, I had some experience which went
exactly contrary.

The day before yesterday, for some friend in our local Linux Group,
GLT-Madhyamgram, I installed one OpenSuSE 10.3 on my desktop, on one
partition of the second hard disk.

After completing the installation, as usual, OpenSuSE wanted to install
the grub on the MBR, I allowed it, and while it constructed the
grub.conf, it wanted the details of the other images, I gave the
location of vmlinuz and initrd and it showed them correctly in the
grub.conf, I checked it by comparing with the grub.conf of the F9
installation.

After completing the installation and all paraphernalia when it did
reboot and I went into F9, I saw that it is giving the warning
and telling me to run fsck,the usual thing when it gets something wrong
with the fs, and telling me to hit Ctrl+D after I run fsck to reboot. I
did run fsck, obviously without any error, all my partitions of both
the harddisks in ext3, and ext3 is hardly known for getting errors.

But the reboot again gave me the same dialog and this time it occurred
to me that maybe everything is not matching the scheme. So, this time I
made a rescue boot with a CD and installed the grub from F9, this
worked before with that queer thing called Ubuntu that hardly allows
any other Linux to coexist if not by brute force. But, surprisingly, I
had to issue 'grub-install /dev/sda1' three times in three reboots till
the grub got actually installed replacing the OpenSuSE grub (and there
was no error message too: a bug or something?). And when I did a reboot
into F9 with F9's grub, again the same fs problem.

Now, I got the hunch about UUID-s and hashed out every line
in /etc/fstab and made exact copies of the lines with the UUID's
replaced by our good old '/dev/something' notation. And you know, after
three reboots, the three time loser did really learn, it did a
faultless boot. And then I had the doubt that maybe nothing was wrong
with OpenSuSE grub, and so I did install the grub from there and with
this changed fstab in F9 everything worked as it should. Though now I
have F9's grub once again because SuSE's grub will not allow the
penguin picture in grub splash, SuSE grub does not have splash support.

So, as I came to discover, in place of helping multiple Linux OS's to
get installed, UUID was actually going against it. And this changed
fstab is working fine for me for more than two days.

Can anyone please explain this?

Let me paste the '/etc/fstab':

<<
#UUID=8026ffff-3e71-45ca-bde7-731644580769 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
/dev/sda6				   /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
#UUID=1027b9d1-a1da-4dac-a10f-cf48bda1fcd7 /mnt/extra              ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sdb7				   /mnt/extra              ext3    defaults        1 2
#UUID=30d9155a-0cb1-414d-876d-73d963edeb06 /mnt/data               ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sda8				   /mnt/data               ext3    defaults        1 2
#UUID=4a1516f2-5021-4a53-b554-d6d7a30fbf2a /mnt/arkive             ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sda7				   /mnt/arkive             ext3    defaults        1 2
#UUID=8119ed9f-1368-499a-adbf-c253fc1ac669 /mnt/f7                 ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sdb6				   /mnt/f7                 ext3    defaults        1 2
#UUID=3f54e037-862d-4ad9-97c5-3d18cd28dd2c /mnt/f7/boot            ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sdb1				   /mnt/f7/boot            ext3    defaults        1 2
#UUID=488f9d37-b274-497e-a5e0-626ace580467 /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sda1				   /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
#UUID=69af36ff-2bf0-47bb-9eeb-d5619c6a4444 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/sda5				   swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
#UUID=598dcecd-44bf-46ce-8abd-8f385d49cb07 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/sdb5				   swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

--
das
ddts.randomink.org