CUPS, Alpine, and printserving

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Nov 1 16:32:45 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 16:02 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 15:40:42 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
> > Isn't it easier just to say
> > 	telnet 192.168.a.b 631
> > Doesn't this tell you if you are connected to the CUPS server much more
> > simply?
>
> 	I take care not to install telnet, or to remove it if anaconda
> installs it.
----
please try to glean some of the wisdom being offered to you rather than
just respond with an answer that indicates that you don't understand
what is being written.

Telnet-server is typically a bad install package when you already have
ssh server installed and it handles encryption whereas telnet
connections are generally not encrypted.

The telnet client is always available to Linux, Windows and Macintosh
users as it is the primary method of testing/troubleshooting a
connection.

Thus the command, telnet SOME_HOME_OR_IP SOME_PORT_NUMBER means that you
can test all sorts of connections such as smtp servers, imap servers,
web servers, cups servers (as in Timothy's example above).

Craig