CUPS, Alpine, and printserving

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Sun Nov 2 02:47:32 UTC 2008

Beartooth wrote:
> 	Oops! I just got this (edited slightly) :
>
> [btth at Hbsk2 ~]$ telnet 192.168.a.b 631
> Trying 192.168.a.b...
> telnet: connect to address 192.168.a.b: No route to host
> [btth at Hbsk2 ~]$
>
> 	Fwiw, ssh from this machine to that one did work.

This could mean that the packet filter ("firewall") on 192.168.a.b allows SSH
(port 22) but rejects IPP (port 631).

Run system-config-firewall and allow "Network Printing Server (IPP)". Do this
on the machine with the printer, so that the clients can access it to print,
and also on all machines whose printer configurations you want to administer
through the web interface from another machine.

Björn Persson