FC9 login without password

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Sun Nov 2 20:42:33 UTC 2008

On Sunday 02 November 2008 08:32, edwardspl at ita.org.mo wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Mine is FC9...
> So, how to config the user profile, then the user login without password
> ( disable password ) ?
>
> Thanks !
>
> Edward.

Hi Edward. I'm not sure what your looking for here. If it's just to autologin
a user, there are are a few lines you can add to /etc/gdm/custom.conf. See
below.

# Lines below added by djmons

[daemon]
# Automatic login, if true the first local screen will automatically logged
# in as user as set with AutomaticLogin key
AutomaticLoginEnable=true
AutomaticLogin=djmons

The lines above will enable you to autologin one user. Just change djmons to
your user name. See below if you have more than one user setup, and want the
option to login as a different user. The autologin of the designated user
will be delayed, thus giving you the chance to stop the autologin, and select
a different user to login as.

# Timed login. usefull for kiosks. Log in a certain user after a certain
# amount of time
TimedLoginEnable=false
TimedLogin=djmons
TimedLoginDelay=30

Ok. Assuming you have mutliple users available, but only have one set for
autologin. Obviously it would be good to see the GDM greeter, and have the
chance to stop the autologin, and choose another user.

First change  "theAutomaticLoginEnable=true" line to false.

Then change the "TimedLoginEnable=false" line to true

Obviously change tthe user name on "TimedLogin=djmons" to your user name.

The login delay is up to you.

I've just tried all this on F9, and it works as above.

If you want my /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf file from my FC2 install please ask, and
I'll send it offlist directly to you.

All the best.

Nigel.