gdm error messages

Steve zephod at cfl.rr.com
Mon Nov 3 19:34:34 UTC 2008

I was looking through /var/log/messages and I came accross this error :

gconfd (gdm-2770): Error setting value for `/apps/gnome-screensaver/power_management_delay': Can't overwrite existing read-only value: Value for `/apps/gnome-screensaver/power_management_delay' set in a read-only source at the front of your configuration path

My home directory has no read, write or execute permissions for anybody besides me so the error message is no that suprising.

After a bit of googling I found a suggested solution of setting umask to 027 in /etc/init.d/functions but that interfered with loggng in resulting in no taskbar.

I decided to try adding my user group to gdm's group list and changing the permissions in my home directory structure to allow anyone in my group to read, write or execute. I was suprised to find that this did not work. Is this because gdm doesn't have a login shell? I tried adding my group to a different user, logging on as that user and then writing to the gnome-screensaver directory and had no problems.

How else can I get this to work?

This is on a fully up-to-date F8 system.

Thanks,
Steve