screen + vim + paste -> not happy

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Tue Nov 4 15:55:59 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> This may not solve your problem, but just in general I find it much
> nicer to use freenx and the NX client from www.nomachine.com for the

Thanks for the suggestion but that's not really an option here - many of
the systems I'm logging into don't have the requisite bits available to
use freenx and are not under my direct control. Using one host as a
"gateway" where all the terminal windows live would also be a bit
restrictive for the way that I work.

I'm guess I'm pretty settled in my ways with screen etc. and it fits
nicely into the way I like to organise my work. Screen did not have this
behavior back in FC6, so it appears that something changed in the meantime.

>  If you haven't tried it, it is much more responsive on remote
> connections than other remote X approaches and cross platform clients
> are easy to install.

I've tried FreeNX and for what it does, it's definitely a big step up
from vnc etc., but I'd still like screen to work the way it used to -
it's a bit of a "from my cold dead hands" issue I guess :-)

Regards,
Bryn.